Whilst trying to think of an alternative side dish to rice to eat with my chilli, I came across “homemade” corn tortilla chips online… well when I say homemade the majority of recipes went like this – ‘buy premade corn tortillas, cut up and fry.’
A) I didn’t want something fried and oily
B) It’s almost impossible to find corn tortillas without wheat or other added ingredients
I mean, I can be lazy at the best of times, but when I want to make something homemade I don’t want to buy something premade to start off the recipe! So, I decided to come up with my own.
This is an amazing recipe for expert cooks and novices alike; it’s super easy yet people will be impressed to know you made them yourself!
The three main ingredients you will need are:
♥ 1 cup of Finely Ground Cornmeal (NOT cornflour).
♥ 1/2 – 3/4 cup of water.
♥ 1/2 tsp of salt
(Optional but highly recommended ingredients)
♥ 1/2 tsp of hot chilli powder
♥ 1/2 tsp of cumin seeds
1. Pre-heat the oven to 180-200 degrees celsius.
2. Mix all the ingredients together (the consistency should be fairly runny, not doughy at all).
3. Line your baking tray with baking parchment and spread with a little olive oil.
4. Using a spatula spread the mixture thinly onto the baking parchment (in regards to thickness they should be about the same thickness as a regular Dorito, if they’re too thick they won’t go crunchy).
5. Bake for 20 minutes, and then remove from the oven, chop up into triangles and place back in the oven for 30-40 minutes. You’ll know they’re ready when they start to brown and go hard. (If they feel a little bit soft keep them in the oven and check them every few minutes.)
These chips are delicious and crunchy, slightly spicy and so much healthier than the shop bought alternative! I paired mine with turkey chilli for a low carb, gluten free side dish – in fact, just skip the fork and use these as an edible utensil to scoop the chilli straight into your mouth! Layer with melted cheese, sour cream and guacamole for perfect nachos, or simply munch on them with your favourite dip!
Note: Dogs will give serious puppy eyes to get their paws on these chips!